Monday 28 September 2009

Ol' Dirty Bastard - Shimmy Shimmy Ya

'Gimme the mic so I can take it away'


This song keeps popping up everywhere! First I heard it out one night, sped up twice as fast (sounded awful). Then I heard a pretty inspired mix of it with Big L's Ebonics (sounded great) from Too Legit's 'Prince Pac'. Then I heard this recording of it from the El Michels Affair on Giles Peterson's compilation Brownswood Bubblers Four. Turns out they got an album out called Enter The 37th Chamber, which is mainly jazz/live band instrumental versions of all the tracks from the Wu-Tang's 36 Chambers. Pretty mellow, but a really good listen. I highly recommend both the Brownswood series, and the The 37th Chamber. I love that way that this cover of Shimmy Shimmy Ya has loads of little kids singing the lyrics and chanting 'Wu-Tang, Wu-Tang'. Pretty much as far away from ODB as you can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment